History of Cleveland
The original Cleveland School opened in 1920, serving grades K-3. By 1923, grades 4-6 had been added. The school was needed to meet expanding population growth on the west side of Cedar Rapids.
On January 23, 1950, the current Cleveland School was opened. It was part of a $2.5 million school bond issue, passed in 1947. The staff and students united to move the instructional materials from the old school to the new one. The new school sits on a beautiful campus that provides ample playground space for students.
Overcrowding necessitated an addition to the new building in 1953, when four classrooms were added to the north end of the building. In 1973 an IMC was created by combining two kindergarten classrooms.
Cleveland has a new 34 station Computer Lab in the IMC that is utilized by all of the classrooms.
In January, 2000, Cleveland School celebrated it's 50th year anniversary with an Open House and a Sock Hop. Several alumni, former principals, and current students and staff attended. The highlight from the Open House was a 1975 time capsule opened by several students from that sixth grade class.
The school has had seven principals. That degree of stability reflects the nature of the community it serves.
- Adalaide Montillon 1921-44
- Catherine G. Eckstein 1944-72
- William Broussard 1972-84
- John Hegarty 1984-93
- John Christenson 1993-98
- Cynthia Monroe 1998-2002
- Denise Pape 2002 - present